14. CODE OF CONDUCT
- Look after property
- Be kind and helpful
- Show respect
- Don’t discriminate
- Be honest
SIGNING IN AND OUT
- For health and safety reasons, everyone attending the Saturday Programme must sign in and out at the desk near the refectory. All Parents/Guardians are responsible to ensure the safe collection and/or transportation of their students to and from the Saturday Programme venue.
- No one may enter any teaching rooms without permission and without a coach, tutor or member of staff present. This includes all students, parents, carers, siblings and other visitors.
- All outside facilities should be used in an appropriate and safe manner. Students will not be permitted outside except during break times.
- No one will be allowed on the school grounds unless they are a registered participant of the Saturday Programme or a sibling accompanied by an adult.
- No one should touch or move any items in any classrooms unless expressly asked to do so by a member of the tutorial staff. Do not turn computers on.
- Please treat the property and belongings of Haggerston School with respect at all times and leave all rooms as you find them.
- During break times students are not permitted to wander throughout the school or leave the building, and must wait in the refectory room until the start of their next activity. Students in Years 7+ will be permitted to leave the building by parental consent, but will be required to sign out and back in upon their return. Consent Forms may be requested from a member of staff. PLEASE NOTE: that students not adhering to the rules governing permission slip requests may have their privileges revoked. In addition, permission to leave the building may be revoked on an individual basis or for an entire group of students should there be any safety concerns (as determined by HMDT Music) which would warrant this.
- All food and drink must be consumed either in the refectory or outside and may not be taken into any of the classrooms or upstairs. Please do not drop litter except in waste bins; if you spill something please wipe it up, or ask a member of staff for assistance. The Saturday School does not employ cleaning staff and this is NOT provided by Haggerston School. This task falls to our staff on site on Saturday, and we would be grateful if you would help them by cleaning up when you are using the refectory.
- Parents/carers of CYMH Red Programme, Fledglings Foundation Course and ICS! Minis students are expected to be present during the Saturday Programme to supervise their children. Occasionally parents and carers wish to leave their children in the care of another adult. In this instance you must ensure that HMDT’s Saturday Programme Coordinator is made aware of who the adult responsible for your child(ren) is. THERE CAN BE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS.
- Parents/carers using the Saturday Programme’s facilities whilst waiting for students MUST take responsibility for supervising any other children in their care (including students’ siblings who have different timetables) and NOT allow them to wander around the building or behave in a disruptive or inappropriate manner.
- Look after your instrument. Never leave it unattended, never run with it and always carry it in its case. Instruments will be taken away from students who do not look after them.
- Regular attendance is critical to a musical education. It is not only important to the individual student to maintain consistent learning, but it is also important to understand that in an ensemble situation, each student contributes to the group as a whole, and missing a lesson lets the group down. At the Saturday Programme we try to instil a healthy level of responsibility in each student, so regular attendance is crucial. Students are expected to commit themselves to attending the Saturday Programme every week during term time throughout the year, and to follow up their work with additional home practice. Student attendance and punctuality is monitored and recorded. Students who miss three weeks of lessons during a term will be at risk of losing their place at the Saturday Programme. There are no make-up lessons available.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO PARENTS: Haggerston School is within its rights to ban parents
from entering the school grounds, which for some students may jeopardise their ability to
attend. Please uphold the code of conduct and remember that the Saturday Programme is
lucky to be able to use this venue.
THE THREE STRIKES POLICY
In response to any student disregarding the Code of Conduct or any behavioural difficulty, we
have put in place this Behaviour Support Plan in order to minimise the risk to the student and
others at the Saturday Programme.
Should any student break the Code of Conduct or commit minor offences
(e.g. dropping litter) the following action will take place:
1) Student is spoken to by a member of staff and misbehaviour discussed.
Should the Code of Conduct be consistently broken, or if the nature of the incident puts
others at risk (any form of violence or damaging of property), the following procedure will
2) Phone call home to parent/carer to discuss misbehaviour/incident; AND,
3) Student Behaviour Report written and sent home to parent/carer; AND/OR,
4) Parent/carer asked to attend a meeting with the Music Manager
Continual disregard of the Code of Conduct will result in:
5) Dismissal from the Saturday Programme.