REMEMBER TOGETHER WE NEED YOU!
Raise your voices in song to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of D-DAY
HMDT Music is delighted to be working with The Royal British Legion to bring a new project to all schools and communities.
We are commissioning two new songs from writer Stephen Plaice and composer Matthew King ‘D-Day’ and ‘Two Minutes’ which we invite you to sing with your school or choir on 6 June to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of D-Day.
Songs and Lesson plans are now available! Please sing up and register to access the resources!
The Songs and supporting lesson plans are available free of charge for you to download and use.
In ‘Two Minutes‘, a soldier asks us to spare two minutes of silence to remember as he looks back in time, from his place in the landing craft and reflects on the storming of the Normandy beaches. By ensuring we remember and try and understand the experiences he and his fellow soldiers went through, we can ensure their lives are not completely lost.
In ‘D-Day‘, children ask ‘what can we do?’ before the invasion, inspired by posters asking them to do their bit, a question echoed by today’s children 75 years on. ‘Remember us’ reply the huge host of contributors to Operation Overlord. The question, memories and response, are all knit together by Gran in the great pattern of Time, enabling us to understand and remember.
A series of Lesson Plans/Activities will also be available including:
1. CODE BREAKING: The Story of Bletchley Park, Cracking the Codes and code breaker Gwen Watkins
KS2 Literacy, history, science, ICT, maths
2. SUBTERFUGE & SPIES: Operation Fortitude, The French Resistance, Spies and double agent Joan Pujol Garcia
KS3 English, KS2 literacy, history, drama
3. METEOROLOGY: Operation Neptune, Dr James Stagg
KS2/KS3 Literacy/English, history, science, geography
4. OVERLORD EMBROIDERY: collaborative D-Day commemoration through art and design
KS2/ KS3 Art, history, D&T, PSHE, Geography
5. INVENTIONS AND INNOVATIONS: exploration of inventions created to help the D-Day Operations and their developments and uses today
KS2 Art, history, geography, D&T, science
6. CODES: Introduction to codes, cyphers and encryptions and their use in D-Day preparations
Call 020 8882 8825 to find out more
Registered charity number: 219279
Image © Imperial War Museum (B 005261)